- Successfully complete (pass) at least 90 credits that meet the degree and program requirements of York’s Faculty of LA&PS with a cumulative grade point average of at least 4.00;
- Complete 30 credits in History
- Complete 24 credits of General Education requirements, as described below;
- Complete at least at least 18 credits at or above the 3000-level, of which a minimum of 12 credits at the 3000-level must be in History.
- Meet York’s residency requirement: at least 15 credits in History (50% of credits toward your major), and at least 30 credits overall, must be taken at York University.
- 24 credits of General Education must be chosen from approved courses in Humanities, Modes of Reasoning, Natural Science and Social Science, including a minimum of 6 credits in each of Humanities, Natural Science and Social Science.
- A maximum of 9 credits in each of the four areas (Humanities, Modes of Reasoning, Natural Science and Social Science) will count towards fulfilment of General Education requirements.
- A maximum of 36 credits in General Education will count towards the degree
Credits in History
30 credits including:
6 credits at the 1000-level (Must be taken in the LA&PS History Department)
- First-year courses taken at Glendon or other universities do NOT satisfy this requirement. (The Department usually counts these as 2000-level courses.)
- No more than one AP/HIST1000-level course (6 credits) will count towards the HIST Major
- Fourth-year students must obtain permission from the Director of Undergraduate Studies to enrol in an AP/HIST1000-level course.
- Courses at the 1000-level do not fulfill the departmental requirement that at least one course in the major or minor must deal with history outside Canada and the U.S.A.
- Exemptions to this requirements are only granted at the discretion of the Director of Undergraduate Studies. Exemptions may be granted if the student has taken a minimum of 18 credits in History courses, in which the student has earned a minimum B+ History grade point average. Students granted such an exemption must take a substitute 6-credit History course at the 3000 level or above.
At least 24 additional credits in History
- No more than 12 credits in History at the 2000-level will count towards the Major
- At least 6 credits in History above the 1000-level must deal with history outside Canada or U.S.A
- At least 12 credits in History must be at the 3000-level or above;
- BA students require permission from the Director of Undergraduate Studies to enrol in a 4000-level History course.
Credits Outside the Major
At least 18 credits (in addition to General Education requirements)
- i.e., 18 credits in courses that are NOT History courses.
- Additional courses in History or other subjects